Testing the DPSP

I did a day’s testing of the Digital Preservation Software Platform (DPSP) in December. The process has been enough to persuade me it isn’t quite right for what we intend with our project, but that’s not intended as a criticism of the system, which has many strengths.

The heart of DPSP is performing the normalisation of office documents to their nearest Open Office equivalent, using Xena. Around this, it builds a workflow that enables automated generation of checksums, quarantining of ingested records, virus checking, and deposit of converted records into an archival repository. It also generates a “manifest” file (not far apart from a transfer list), and logs all of the steps in its database.

The workflow is one that clearly suits The National Archives of Australia (NAA) and matches their practice, which involves thorough checking and QA to move objects in and out of quarantine, in and out of a normalisation stage, and finally into the repository. All of these steps require the generation of Unique IDs and folder destinations which probably match an accessioning or citation system at NAA; there’s no workaround for this, and I simply had to invent dummy IDs and folders for my purpose. The steps also oblige a user to log out of the database, and log back in so as to perform a different activity; this is required three times. This process is undoubtedly correct for a National Archives and I would expect nothing less. It just feels a bit too thorough for what we’re trying to demonstrate with the current project, our preservation policy is not yet this advanced, and there aren’t enough different staff members to cover all the functions. To put it another way, we’re trying to find a simple system that would enable one person (the records manager) to perform normalisations, and DPSP could be seen as “overkill”. I seem to recall PANDORA, the NLA’s web-archiving system, was similarly predicated on a series of workflows where tasks were divided up among several members of staff with extensive curation and QA.

My second concern is that multiple sets of AIPs are generated by DPSP. Presumably the intention is that the verified AIPs which end up in the repository will be the archive copies, and anything generated in the quarantine and transformation stages can be discarded eventually. However, this is not made explicit in the workflow, neither is the removal of such copies described in the manual.

My third problem is an area which I’ll have to revisit, because I must have missed something. When running the Xena transformations, DPSP creates two folders – one for “binary” and one for “normalised” objects. The distinction here is not clear to me yet. I’m also worried because out of 47 objects transformed, I ended up with only 31 objects in the “normalised” folder.

The gain with using DPSP is that we get checksums and virus checks built into the workflow, and complete audit trails also; so far with our method of “manual” transformations with XENA we have none of the above, although we do get checksums if we use DROID. But I found the DPSP workflow a little clunky and time-consuming, and somewhat counter-intuitive in navigating through the stages.